Travels north

This last weekend, Laurie and I took a little day trip by ourselves up north a little. First we drove up to Prescott and had lunch at our favorite Prescott restaurant, the Prescott Brewery Company. I love their vegetarian pot pie and we stuffed ourselves, decided that this would be the main meal for the day and that we wouldn't really have dinner. The weather was very cool, even though it was predicted to be pretty warm there, a storm rolled in an the rain and clouds cooled everything down. We drove on from Prescott to Mingus Mountain with our windows rolled down until it started raining too hard to keep them open anymore. We took a little pause at Mingus Mountain, I took a little nap and Laurie sat and knitted (yes, you read right - Laurie's actually knitting something! A scarf for a friend out of some brown Malabrigo). Then we drove on into Jerome. We brought my scooter so that Laurie didn't have to push me on the steep roads of the mining town. It's perched on a mountainside, and the main road does switchbacks down the side of a steep hill. Our main stop in Jerome was Knit 1 Bead 2, a yarn and bead shop on main street. Even though we've been to Jerome quite a few times, we hadn't been to this shop before. It was up 20 stairs, so I parked the scooter at the base of them and scooted up stair by stair, sitting down frequently, but made it to the top! And boy was it worth it! It was a beautiful shop, so many gorgeous luxury yarns arranged by color and a little back room that had some spectacular deals. We came away with our wallets sufficiently lightened. I know that this is worthless without pictures, but currently I can't find our camera card reader, so it will just have to wait. We got some amazing silk, hand painted, strung with gold colored glass beads. The hand painted colors were the purple of my cashmere shawl, light green and light pink. I'm currently using it to finish off the mentioned cashmere shawl, and it's going to be oh so beautiful. I got some hand dyed BFL, a bone/wood shawl pin that I've been using as a hair stick, 5 balls of a cotton and linen blend in purple, to make a simple shawl/shrug out of. Some cotton silk in white that is just added to stash and a ring for my mom (which she loved). As the store was up 2o steps, they don't have very many people in wheelchairs come and visit. In fact, the owner said I was the first. She was very sweet in helping us maneuver though her shop, clearing paths so I could see everything. When we checked out, she presented us with several gifts for making the climb up the stairs and braving the non-accessible shop. She gave us each a heavy weight canvas bag (which is my new fiber bag) and a little baggie full of little knit knacks - a needle sizer with a ruler, a little pad of stickies, AND a Ravelry button!!!! I was so excited about the button! I was hoping to get one at the Estes Park Wool Market, but couldn't find a vendor with them. I was so happy to see that in there!

We finished our day out with one last stroll along main street, stopping for a little ice cream and water and at the end of the street, we found a little consignment shop and Laurie found a beautiful sun dress, that fit her perfectly and is very becoming on her. It is yellow, which is not a color that either of us usually go for, but this dress makes the color perfect. It's full length and flowy, with an empire waist and lots of swishy fabric. Laurie says it's comfortable and I'm hoping to make a little shawl in white to go with it, so that even though it's got speghetti straps, she could wear it to church. So, thus ended our beautiful day, Bennett very excited to see us home and a good night's sleep to sum up a perfect day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment