Another fiber post

Two fiber posts in one day! Oh my! I found where I had stashed the other pictures I had meant to post earlier and took a few more, so I thought I'd make up for the lack of posting earlier and post again - and again Merry Christmas.

First up is BFL that I bought at Tempe Yarn and Fiber. They are both 4oz. The first picture is a Barbara's Braid, hand dyed by a woman at our LYS. Second is Pagewood Farms in the color "Misty". I actually picked them out separately, but they are so alike and of the same color family that I'm spinning them together. A handful of one here and another there to make a beautiful three ply sock yarn for some socks for me (knee high socks, that is)! On this shopping trip, I also got some lovely dark, dark, almost black looking merino that for some reason I didn't photograph. I got almost 13 oz of it and plan to make Laurie some knee socks for her Christmas present. It's beautiful and they won't be getting this color in again.


We attended Expressions in Spinning just before we left for California. The topic for this month is Ireland. I saw some pictures of monasteries and in a Celtic book that we looked at mentioned Iona Monastery, which is techincally in Scotland. It's even a Benedictine monastery! On my iphone, I found an amazing picture of the monastery, where the stone wall is almost pink with the sun reflecting on it. The picture is copyright of a company called Mysterious Scotland. So, I combined two colors to make the subtle grays and pinks. The gray is Jacob wool, from what I understand, a rare breed of sheep and the pink is merino in the colorway "Begonia". They look really beautiful and very true to the picture, as you can see in the batt.


Lastly, are the pictures of the brand new spindle that I got for Christmas, this morning. I haven't had time to photograph all of the fiber, it takes up a lot of space and I'm already cluttering the coffee table with books, other fiber and my computer. I'll most likely wait until I get home to give you all the wonderful details. Laurie's parents were so very generous to me this Christmas, I can't thank them enough.

On the spindle, is the beginnings of my Ireland yarn. The spindle itself is a Jenkin's Turkish Delight in Striped Ebony, weighing in at 1.2oz. It spins for so long. It's my first low whorl spindle and I'm having a lot of fun with it!


0 comments:

Post a Comment